A few weeks ago I came across this awesome site that generates watercolor maps of any location you search. Then Pinterest gave me this idea for DIY coasters and I decided to combine the two to make a set for my dad for Father’s Day, featuring locations that are meaningful to us (home, campgrounds, etc).
The coasters were just over $1 each in the garden department at Home Depot and I copied and pasted the maps into a Word document to resize, crop, and print.
As I so often do with projects, I might have slightly overdone it… on some of them, it wasn’t clear what you’re looking at (the neighborhood is just a bunch of lines!) so I marked the specific location, such as our house, with a little heart. But then for consistency’s sake I wanted that on all of them, and then when it was too late I was like hm, that’s a bit much. Oh well.
The only problem I had other than that is that they seem to have stayed kinda sticky. I let the mod podge dry for DAYS, but it still felt tacky. I tried a spray-on acrylic sealant and let THAT dry for a couple days too and they looked okay, but they ended up getting a little messed up and they stick together a bit when they’re stacked. I don’t know, I always have issues with mod podge…