Thank you to Dawn-Reneé Rice for nominating me for the Liebster Award! I’ve mostly been off blogging in my own little corner, so I’m honored to have been noticed and excited to do the same for others :) The Liebster Award is intended to recognize up-and-coming blogs with fewer than 200 followers. There are some rules to follow when you get nominated:
- Post eleven facts about yourself
- Answer the questions posed by your nominator
- Pass the award on to eleven new recipients
- Post eleven new questions to your recipients
- Post a copy of the badge on your blog (Google image search “Liebster Award”)
- Notify your nominees and include links to the originating blog as well as the new recipients
My answers, questions, and nominees are below.
11 facts about myself:
1. I have had more crushes on fictional characters than real people.
2. I sing in the car almost every day.
3. I have awesome dreams with detailed, convoluted plots.
4. I think the cashier who monitors the self-checkout at my grocery store suspects me of trying to steal produce, so I get incredibly nervous every time I see him.
5. I hate people who think they’re above the rules, especially in traffic. That moment when Liz Lemon buys all the hot dogs because a guy cuts in line? That’s me.
6. As a reader, I will always be about 14 years old. I get swept up in the crappiest YA books but don’t generally have the attention span necessary for even really good adult novels.
7. Also like a 14-year-old, I enjoy popular music unironically.
8. Unlike a 14-year-old, I can’t stand Twilight. I never liked vampires, but that series just made them so much worse.
9. I love trees, moss, rain, mountains, and the ocean.
10. I once saw an owl land in the yard right outside my living room, look right at me, and then fly away before my parents could come and see it. Did I miss getting my Hogwarts letter?!
11. I grew up loving Barbies and princesses and always getting the “girl” toy at McDonald’s, but I turned out just fine.
My answers to Dawn-Reneé’s questions:
1. What is your passion in life?
Despite occasional frustrations, I am so happy to be a middle school teacher. There’s nothing more fun, rewarding, or challenging than sharing my day with my students and coworkers! I can’t imagine ever getting bored with this career because I can always find ways to learn and improve.
2. If you could do anything at this moment, and time and money were not an issue, what would it be?
I’ve been wanting to travel again lately. Even if it’s not somewhere particularly new or exotic, it would be nice to get out and explore for awhile!
3. What’s your favorite social media network and why?
I’m obsessed with Pinterest. A lot of my enjoyment just comes from stupid things that make me laugh or recipes I’ll probably never try, but it’s also helped me become more socially conscious. It’s a big part of why I identify so strongly as a feminist now.
4. If you had a band, what would you name it?
I remember as a kid thinking it would be awesome to call a band “Rhett Butler and the O’haras” but now that sounds unbelievably stupid. I’ve come up with some great dorky literary band names, but of course I can’t remember them now.
5. What’s your favorite book?
Oh goodness… I love so many books for different reasons. I’d have to say my most enduring favorite is Pride and Prejudice (see this post and my English thesis and, like, my whole life), my YA favorite is The Book Thief, and my book-lover book is Fahrenheit 451.
6. Who is your mentor or the one person who supports you the most?
My mom was a huge influence in my life and a big part of the reason I value creativity and education, but I’m inspired by any people who stand up for others.
7. What are your creative interests?
I dabble in all kinds of artsy-craftsy things, like scrapbooking and knitting, and I’ve created a lot of the decor in my apartment. I also recently began participating in NaNoWriMo with mixed results.
8. What is your favorite genre in writing?
I’ve loved dystopian sci-fi ever since I read The Giver in fifth grade.
9. Which do you prefer, the Apple, Droid, or Windows phone?
Random! I have a Windows phone, don’t care to ever get an iPhone.
10. Where do you work – from home or in a corporate office?
At a school, duh :)
11. What’s your favorite thing to write about?
I was the nerd who actually enjoyed writing literary analysis in high school. I honestly miss it a lot! I used to hate writing fiction, but I’ve enjoyed NaNo the past few years. Both novels were YA with female protagonists, go figure.
11 questions for my nominees:
1. What inspires you?
2. What’s your favorite book?
3. Biggest pet peeve?
4. Are you part of any fandoms, and to what extent do you participate?
5. Which fictional character would you most like to meet?
6. When you get famous for whatever it is you’re doing, who would you most want to be interviewed by?
7. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grow up?
8. Favorite/least favorite subjects in school?
9. Why did you start blogging?
10. Which is better, the book or the movie?
11. If you had a band, what would you name it?
My nominees (in no particular order, and most of you have more followers than I do so I’m not sure how much of a “bump” this will provide!):
I’ve enjoyed finding people who write about interesting things… I hope you will find them interesting too!